• Branch Championships this weekend 15-16 Feb cancelled

    Feb 12, 2020 By Surf Live Saving Admin

    As communicated to Clubs
    The Sydney Branch Competition and Safety Committee regrets to inform clubs that due to the potentially large swell forecast from Cyclone Uesi and continued poor water quality we will have to cancel this weekend’s Branch Championships.

    This has been a very difficult decision. As we did last week, we have sought input from a wide range of sources including NSW Life Saving, Maroubra Lifeguards, Maroubra Surf Club and experienced surf forecasters.

    In regards to the Nippers State qualifying events we plan to run these events at 9am Sunday 23rd February at a TBC location. We are unable to run them this weekend at Kurnell or Yarra Bay due to advice regarding poor water quality in Botany Bay due to continued run off from the Georges river. Further details will come shortly in a separate circular.

    We may look to run a modified branch championships between State and Aussies for the Opens/Masters and Boat events but this will depend on a number of factors such as a location, council approvals and a suitable weekend and feedback from clubs.

    We understand that competitors may be upset with this decision but given that the safety of all competitors is our main priority we hope everyone can understand the reasoning behind our decision to cancel the championships.

    Letter to Clubs – Branch Championships cancellation 120220